Saturday, September 09, 2006

Holy Fuck...


Just watched Paul Greengrass's Flight 93. Jesus Christ... I don't know when my blood's gotten so hot while watching a movie...

I know a lot of people who won't watch these 9/11 movies, and I respect that, but I think they serve a purpose. For all the "We Will Not Forget" sloganing, I think it's easy to forget. Even if you were here, like I was. Forget what it was like, before, during and immediately after. It was like stumbling around the street blindfolded, traffic whizzing around you.

What's the purpose of dwelling on it? With these dramatizations? Is it just fear-mongering? Or, worse, exploitation? I don't think so. At least, I think that's too large a blanket to put over it all. An easy way to dismiss these things.

The reason I write ANYTHING is to get something out. Express something I feel strongly about expressing. Put things into a different kind of perspective for myself. To whatever degree I succeed or fail in connecting with other people, that's what I try to do...

I realize that "The Butcherhouse Chronicles" (stage version) is NOT a Columbine play, but it's my Columbine play. Just like "Chinadoll Overdrive" is NOT a 9/11 play, but it's my 9/11 play. Knowing that puts it into perspective for me and gives me a better idea of how I move forward with them.

[The Butcherhouse Movie is something else entirely, and it'll become whatever it needs to become, and I'm at peace with that. My plays, however, are mine.]