Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Vicious Circle Turns


Maybe I'm a lonely man
Who's in the middle of something
That he doesn't really understand


Almost a year since I started this blog. A year since I got the call that my play got into SPF, and things started to turn. Turn very slowly.

No mistake, I got exceptionally lucky. Just to get in is an amazing stroke of luck. But managing to align the best creative partners, and managing to erect a show that -- for the most part -- got some positive buzz. Then the whole movie deal, which is a pretty absurd outcome.

A lot of people have unreasonable expectations going into SPF. Truth is, nothing's really handed to you. It's a brilliant opportunity but so much is still dictated by chance. The right people seeing your show and connecting with it on some level.

Hardest thing for me now is paying it off.

In a strange way, the movie business seems to have a clearer route to "success". When you're dealing with a studio, a movie either gets made or it doesn't get made. Live theater, by nature, only exists for a limited time. I may have gotten an enviable door prize at last year's SPF, but I don't have the history of productions that other people have.

So I'm the new kid on two coasts. Known but unknown. Trying to make a go of something larger. No matter where it goes, it always begins in a quiet place. And I am most certainly in a quiet place.