Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Little Miss Sunshine


Michael Arndt won the Writers Guild Award for Best Original Screenplay.

An excerpt from his Introduction to his published screenplay of "Little Miss Sunshine" (part of the Writers Guild Awards gift basket):

I wrote Little Miss Sunshine when I was unemployed, living in a small one-bedroom walk-up in Brooklyn, and slowly burning through my hard-earned savings. I had quit my job and given myself a year off, hoping to write a salable script in that time. It was the financial equivalent of jumping off a cliff and trying to build an airplane on the way down. I had never made a dime from creative writing. I had no credits, no agent, no publishing history. I was--in every external--a complete and total loser.


I love stories like this. They make me feel better about what I'm doing.