Thursday, January 04, 2007

Morningstar, Flail or Mace


This is a flail. I had the crazy idea to insert one into my screenplay, so I looked up the proper name for it and apparently it's "flail".

Morningstars and maces are more like clubs. There's no chain element.

"Morningstar Mace" and "Chain Mace" are terms that are used. But it kind of feels like a cheat. And while I like the imagery, the word "flail" seems a bit flimsy. Not terribly evocative. I'd have to put some effort in to make it work.

Clearly, I ain't sleeping regular hours. But it's the fourth of January, and I've got the better of four weeks to keep polishing and building upon my screenplay draft. I'm finally beginning to enjoy it: The writing process and the draft itself. I keep coming up with ideas I'd like to try to cram in. Figure out ways to say something with more elegance and/or economy. Sharpen it up so -- hopefully -- it isn't seen as just another generic horror movie.

I guess I'm just relieved I've got a completed, full-length draft. There's a lot of detail-work it's lacking -- some larger story points I intend to clarify/invent -- but the major beats are there. I've only really started the re-drafting process a few days ago (new year's day), but it's much less nerve-wracking. I'm finding my groove with it. Reminds me of when I was in high school and I'd spend weekends writing these elaborate stories. Just looking at the story and figuring out what would make it clearer, what would make it cooler, what would elevate it...

Possibly a flail. It's called "The Butcherhouse Chronicles" -- people are going to expect a little blood...