Sunday, July 09, 2006

This Is Really Happening


Rehearsals are over. Yesterday, we had a final run in the rehearsal room that I thought went really well. The show seems to move well. At a certain point in the run-through, it hit me: THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING. This play I wrote, nearly 3 years ago, is being put up. A full production. With this amazing cast. With this remarkable creative team. Led by my miracle-worker director.

I still can't believe it. That SPF would take a chance on such a bizarro play. I wrote it in a vaccum and now it's about to be thrust out into the world. And I won't be able to take it back.

This week. I can't even imagine this week. I know what we've been doing creatively, but I have no sense about how the public is going to receive it.

We've got two dress rehearsals with all the bells and whistles, and then we throw open the doors. And then there's nothing I can do except sit there and take it.

These are the times we pray to a god that doesn't exist...