Tuesday, August 01, 2006

That Butcherhouse Musical


Several people have talked about the idea of turning "The Butcherhouse Chronicles" into a musical. While I enjoy musicals and would not discount the possibility of the raw material being turned into a musical, I have no idea how to construct a musical. And it's supposed to be a play. I wrote a play. Despite what some folks believe, I didn't write a screenplay and turn it into a stage play. I wrote it as a play. It's actually a bit of a challenge to turn it into a screenplay (which is what I'm working on now), but I think a screenplay adaptation is far less of a leap than a musical adaptation.

And I really would like to give it a chance to have a life as a stage play before any other "spin-off" versions are generated. I think it's a sad fact that it would have a better chance at a Broadway run if it were a big musical. But I'd be happy with any kind of run it could enjoy. Regional theatres. Play companies. As long as it's up somewhere and people have the opportunity to see it.

Lest we forget, CARRIE was turned into a musical in the late 80s. An infamous bomb. I love that movie. And Stephen King was a big influence for "The Butcherhouse". I wish I could have seen that musical because it kind of sounds fascinating to me...

Thanks to YOU TUBE, we have access to some poor video footage of that show...

The opening was a lively number called "In"...

"Eve Was Weak"...

"Out for Blood"... (Pigs' blood, of course)

"Wotta Night"...

Which brings us, inevitably, to "Destruction!"...!

Extra points if you actually watch all of that. I may be crazy (Ed.: MAYBE??), but I kinda like "In"...