Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Launch


Launch party @ Ari Tepper's incredible apartment last night...

Changed into some party clothes in a bathroom stall at work at the end of my shift. Walked up to the address just to case the area. I hate being late but I hate being early. Got up there with over half an hour to kill. Walked over to Central Park East and sat on a bench listening to my iPod and reading a magazine.

Walked back to the address around 7:32pm. Elevator operator took a bunch of us up... I swear, that elevator went up an interminable number of flights...

I'm terrible at the art of mingling. There must be some sort of course one could take. I invariably get stuck chatting with one person for nearly the entirety of the party. It was good talking to my director because I'm still getting to know him, but my eyes kept darting about the room to all the other interesting-looking people. The wine was emboldening me and I kind of assumed I'd get a chance to make more rounds, but the party thinned out before I knew it...

I did get to meet a lot of the people I've been communicating with exclusively via email/phone, which was a trip. Shook hands with Arielle Tepper, who seemed thoroughly underwhelmed to meet me. (I have that effect on people.)

Well, it's just the first party. I'll get better at this, I swear...