Friday, May 05, 2006

And I'm Sailing...


I realize I haven't posted a real entry on this yet. I've just been trying to be careful about what's on here. I'm sure few people have seen this site so far, but it may acquire more traffic as things pick up.

We're in the process of casting at the moment. Yesterday was the first time I saw an actress, who's worked in major tv & film, read my lines. It was humbling.

I'm starting to get excited. Yesterday was the first time in this process that I've seen the sparks of what this show COULD be. It is surreal seeing all these actors try out my words. (It's a little unsettling initially.) I've never been through a professional casting process like this...

I wrote the play. I know how it goes. I know everything I put into it, and my 2000 intentions. But just watching these auditions is like rediscovering my own play. To think I'd given up on this play and it would have been left buried in my drawer had it not gotten into this festival.

This has the potential to be an amazing show! Is that arrogant? Egotistical? I'm not directing it, or designing the sets or costumes, or composing the music. Aside from approving of things, and perhaps clarifying some details, all my creative input is the text on the page. The show is this remarkable team that's being assembled around the text...

BUT WHAT BRILLIANT TEXT IT IS!!!

Okay... this is why I was trying to be careful about writing real entries in this thing. Hey, I'm really harsh on my own work and I struggle so hard to get it "just right", so when I'm able to get it to where I want it to be I'm really proud of the effort.

Crank up the hype machine... now.